Monday, October 7, 2013

Ideas bursting out all over

Fall always brings the urge to spin, weave more, and knit. With the onset of cooler weather, my thoughts turn away from the garden and outside and to more "wintry" tasks. 
We are remodeling the dining room in our Craftsman style house. Bill is in the process of adding a coffered ceiling and when that is finished, he'll put new headers on the windows and refinish the oak floor. 

I wanted to do something different for window treatments for the bay window but hadn't come up with exactly what I wanted. Right now, I have temporary shades in there and I don't want to put the white lace curtains back up. When the sun shines through one of the windows, I love the shadows on the shade from the butterfly bush right outside. 

As I was admiring that shadow effect again today, it hit me. I'm going to weave transparencies for those windows. Not a top to bottom one, but a panel for the bottom half of each window and use botanical shadows as the pattern for the inlays. 
Here's the shadow inspiration:

I'll start sampling tonight, as soon as I am done with work, and research the internet for information on what fibers work best for this idea. 

We do need shades of some type, and I'm tempted to use the old fashioned roll type shade. I can hide them behind a very short matching panel at the top of the window. To hang the panel, I'm thinking that I can use a narrow diameter brass rod that stays within the interior of the window frame, so that the oak trim won't be covered at all and possibly add another thin rod in the hem of the panel, to weight it down so that it hangs straight and flat. 

I'm headed up to "The Fold" in Marengo sometime this week too, to find some merino or merino/silk roving to spin up for a ruana. I purchased Sarah Lamb's video on Spinning to Weave and watched it this past weekend, so am inspired to do some spinning!

No comments:

Post a Comment